Nature Guide Training FAQ’s


Nature Guide Training Questions Answered

Are there any laundry facilities at camp?

Yes, there are options at our base camp and also at the host lodge close by.

How do I get from OR Tambo International Airport to the Limpopo Field Guiding Academy camp?

The best option if you do not have your own transport to camp is to make use of a shuttle service to bring you through to camp. Shuttle service options: Mr Shuttle – +27(0)827481651 Or you can use Waterberg Transfers: Cell: +27(0)823206515 or

Do I need a Visa to come to SA and do the course?

The only requirement you will need to comply with is to get a tourist visa in order to stay in the country for at least 3 months. The course will only take up just over 2 months of that time.

Is there Internet availability at the camp?

There is cellular data signal available at our base camp. The signal is a bit sporadic at times. There is also WiFi at the host lodge close by.

How do I obtain Field reference books if I cannot get to a bookshop?

You can order field reference books through FGASA well before the course starts, and they are then able to post them to your own post box. It is best to get all book required before you arrive on course.

You also have the option to purchase the ground-breaking Pathfinder book (Recommended reading) as an optional extra on your invoice with LFGA. While not prescribed, this book is a great asset and will serve you well in your career ahead.

What can / must I do in the mid phase break that happens on the 2 month course?

Most students either go home (if SA students) or visit friends. If you are international then your options are to either travel or stay with friends.

Please also ask about “No Place Like Home” – a special venue in Kwa-Zulu Natal that caters for LFGA students at affordable rates and also have graduates of LFGA on site to help with preparation for theory and practical aspects of your qualification.

 Average temperatures throughout the year?

Summer (September – March) is warm to hot. Night time can get a bit cooler and if there is rainfall the temperature will drop. Although hardly needed in summer, warmer clothes should be on standby. A rain jacket is essential.

Winter (April – August) is cold at night and mild during the day. It does typically warm up enough during the day out in the bush to wear shorts, but always have a jacket close at hand. Cold fronts can occur in winter, in which case it will be cold day and night.


Do I need a PDP (Professional Driving Permit) in order to work as a guide in SA?

The short answer is NO, you do not NEED it. There are many jobs that do not require a PDP, such as walking trails in non- Dangerous Game areas, cave or mountain guiding, river or canoe guiding, horse trails and more. These are all main-stream forms of nature guiding and are not conducted from a motor-vehicle. There are even some vehicle based guiding jobs where a designated driver (with PDP) does the driving and the guide (non-driver), does the guiding. Upon exploring these scenarios, it becomes clear that a guide does not NEED a PDP in order to guide. 

Many placement agencies will tell you that you HAVE to have a PDP, even social media will push that agenda. It is simply not true and many guides in SA work without them. Of course if you want access to the entire job market in SA, you would need a PDP.

In summary, it is not a necessity. People under 21 years can legally guide and then obtain the permit after age 21, opening up greater opportunities.


How to make sure you get your CATHSSETA certificate and / or “C” number on the CATHSSETA database

Following recent allegations on social media that there is some problem with learners receiving CATHSSETA certificates and / or their “C” number on the CATHSSETA database if they had been assessed by a FGASA assessor (e.g. LFGA) – please take note of the following:

  • There is no problem and all FGASA assessments pertaining to CATHSSETA NQF qualifications (e.g.: FGASA Level 1) are uploaded to the CATHSSETA database by FGASA themselves. This ensures the learner has a “C” number, can receive a CATHSSETA certificate, and can register with NDT (DEAT).
  • There is currently a backlog with the uploading of learner names and acquisition of C numbers as described above, due to the fact that a previously outsourced task to upload names had failed and FGASA have subsequently taken back the responsibility of completing the task.


What to do if you are told by NDT (DEAT) that you have no “C” number:

  • Phone FGASA
  • Explain the situation
  • FGASA will check that you have in fact been declared competent for the relevant qualification
  • If so, FGASA will determine why you do not appear on the database and rectify the problem immediately
  • You will then have a C number (it takes a few days to happen) and register with NDT (DEAT)
    • The “C” number will only be given to the provider (in this case FGASA) and the registrars and not to the learner or any other 3rd party.
    • There is no extra charge for this and this has always been the case.  If you were declared competent in the past and did not get a CATHSSETA certificate FGASA will honour its commitment to you (if you are current member or not) and will procure your CATHSSETA certificate for you.
    • You should do this timeously and not at the last minute when your NDT registration has expired and needs renewing!


Students who were assessed by LFGA can contact our office for assistance if they are not sure of what to do. We are not able to assist with people who were not assessed through LFGA as we have no record of their qualifications and must focus our efforts on our students.

Please contact your assessor / training academy directly (if it was not LFGA). In other words – the people / academy that assessed you are the ones who will assist you further.

Game Ranger Training | Nature Guide Training | Safari Guide Training